The Cooper Hurley Law Firm regularly represents motorcyclists who are injured in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth, the Eastern Shore of Virginia, North Eastern North Carolina and further afield.
Here are some of our case results. All cases are unique. We cannot guarantee the result of your case will be the same. If you have been injured because of another person’s recklessness or negligence, please contact our Virginia Beach motorcycle injury lawyers today for a free case evaluation with John Cooper or Jim Hurley.
- $5 Million Settlement for Truck Accident Injuries to Woman from Hampton – Our client, a woman from Hampton, was hit by a construction truck in Gloucester County, VA and suffered serious injuries including broken ribs, a lacerated liver and spleen, a hip fracture, a fractured pelvis, a fractured femur and fibula and post traumatic stress disorder with a mild traumatic brain injury. The settlement with the construction company was reached during mediation.
- $3.5 Million Settlement for Truck Accident Victim – A commercial truck rear-ended a passenger vehicle on I-64 in Norfolk, Virginia. Our client was a passenger in the car that was struck, which was traveling slowly after a tire problem. Both vehicles caught on fire. Our client was trapped within the passenger vehicle and lost his life.
- $650,000 Jury Verdict for Truck Accident Victim – A MACK truck with worn and bald tires experienced a “sudden” tread separation, colliding with our client’s Toyota. Our client’s leg was broken in two places, requiring surgical insertion of a metal rod, plate, and screws. The woman was not able to return to her previous job because of her injuries.
- $900,000 Settlement for Truck Accident Victim – A tractor-trailer collided with a passenger vehicle in which the victim was riding, causing him a severe traumatic brain injury. Shortly before the case’s trial date, a settlement was reached.
- $650,000 Jury Verdict for Truck–Train Accident Victim – A conductor trainee was riding on the side of a railroad car when a hostler truck, owned by CSX, pulled onto the track in front of the oncoming train. The collision knocked our client off of the side of the car. She was treated for a contusion and returned to work, but suffered continuing back problems as a result of the accident.
- $450,000 Settlement for Fiery Collision Between Two Big Rigs – Our client was driving a big rig with double trailers when another tractor-trailer that was passing him in the left lane forced him to clip the left rear corner of a third stopped truck. A large fireball resulted, and our client suffered broken bones, gastroenterological and urological problems after being ejected from the truck. He was not able to return to his old job as a trucker.
- $425,000 Settlement for Surgical Error – A 43-year-old woman underwent a hysterectomy, but the surgeons and staff left a surgical sponge inside of her body after the surgery was completed. This sponge was not discovered for six full months, and it eventually created a fistula inside of the woman’s bowel, requiring further surgery.
- $400,000 Settlement for Carolina Collision that Kills Moped Rider – A 44-year-old woman was traveling southbound as a passenger on a moped when another vehicle struck the rear of the moped. Both occupants of the moped were knocked off into the street. The other vehicle then ran over the moped passenger, killing her.
- $367,000 Settlement for Rail Conductor With Career-Ending Injury – A veteran conductor for Norfolk Southern was forced to move a train car drawhead one night at an industry. He injured his back trying to move the misaligned coupler, which was not working as it should have been due to poor maintenance and rust.
- $177,000 Settlement for Navy Man Injured While Riding Motorcycle in Virginia Beach – A car driver struck the motorcyclist, resulting in several broken bones and mental trauma. The accident victim recovered this settlement on an underinsured motorist claim through his own policy, and through the at-fault driver’s policy.
- $120,000 Settlement for Customer Injured by Department Store Shelf – A customer shopping in a Maxway store in North Carolina was injured when a metal shelf fell down, striking her in the shoulder. The victim suffered an AC separation and tear of the rotator cuff in her right shoulder, ultimately resulting in two surgeries.
- $112,500 Settlement for Slip-and-Fall Accident at Hampton Roads Hospital – An employee at a local Hampton Roads hospital was injured when she fell on uneven stairs and broke her ankle. After undergoing surgery, the victim suffered a lengthy recovery period and a stress fracture on her foot due to complications from the injury.
- $750,000 Verdict for Injured CSX Railroad Employee – While working in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, a CSX employee suffered serious injures that prevented him from returning to work. This FELA lawsuit to help the victim recover for his injuries and the loss of his career.
- $250,000 Settlement for Car Accident Victim – After suffering injuries in a car accident, the victim could not reach a fair settlement with the other driver’s insurance company. The case filed in Norfolk Circuit Court, eventually led to a proper settlement that compensated the victim for his injuries.
- $150,000 Settlement for Motorcycle Accident Victim – A student from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA suffered a broken femur in a crash after a driver failed to yield the right of way. The case was settled a month before a trial.
- $200,000 Verdict for injured motorist – A man from Virginia Beach was forced off the I-64 by an unknown driver, hitting construction equipment. There was no contact .He suffered a minor concussion, a small displaced fracture in the neck and an open gash in his left knee. A jury in Norfolk awarded him $200,000.